Friday, February 6, 2015

Another Stitch-along

Many years ago I tried my hand at crewel work. I enjoyed it, but it was difficult for me to learn because I am left-handed and illustrations and patterns then were all geared to the right-handed. My mother, though an accomplished seamstress and milliner, did not do much hand stitching. Over the years I tried to teach myself embroidery, but it was just 5 years ago when I became interested in crazy quilting that I recommitted to learning to embroider. Thankfully there are now resources for southpaws. Judith Baker Montano has a stitch guide with instructions for lefties and ___ has a whole book devoted to left-handed stitchers. The internet offers many video tutorials as well.

A few years ago I discovered Sharon Boggons' blog and gratefully joined her TAST (Take a Stitch Tuesday) group. Each week Sharon introduced a new stitch which I practiced and then added to a small crazy quilt that I intended to serve as my "sampler." It was a monochromatic piece using fancy fabrics with all embellishments done in gold. Thanks to Sharon's wonderful instruction, this piece turned out rather well and took a few ribbons at local quilt shows.

Another blog that I follow is Valerie Bothell's The Pink Bunny. Unfortuately, I fell behind on my blog reading and so was late to the party--Valerie's Facebook group, Joyful Embellishments. This is a faster paced endeavor as Valerie presents a new stitch every weekday. I missed all of January, which focused on 20 combinations using feather stitch. So, as I try to keep up with a new stitch a day this month, February being devoted to herringbone combinations, I am also playing catch up with the January stitches.

I've created "stitch pages" which will go into a book for future reference, then, I add each stitch to another crazy quilt "sampler." This time out I've used cottons in a complementary color way for my sampler.







I'm hoping to keep up with the group, which will be easier once I've caught up. So many projects, so little time.

Happy stitching.


No comments:

Post a Comment