Monday, July 21, 2014

I'm on a Mission


Yes, I'm on a mission--a mission to finish up my UFO's and simultaneously clean up my studio. A year or so ago an art quilter named Terry Kramzar did a program at one of my quilt guilds. While I didn't take her workshop, a good friend did and shared the details of how to create what I consider a canvas for playing with fabric or embellishments. I created the piece above which hangs in my beach condo. The batiks and the soft pastels mirror the view of the Gulf of Mexico and is suited for its new home.

I then started another piece using the same technique, this time using some fancy fabrics from my crazy quilting stash. I inadvertently made only 8 squares instead of 9, so it joined the ranks of my UFO's.  I'm sure I had an idea at the time, but I didn't make any sketches and now I'm not quite sure what to do with it now that I've made the final square and pieced it together.



I'm a fairly decent detective (I had to be to stay one step ahead of my students) and the fact that I'd stored it with a book on motifs leads me to think I intended to do another beaded applique. I'll leave it up on my design wall to see if anything occurs to me. I'm open to suggestions...

6 comments:

  1. Oh this is wonderful Arlene!! I will be following for sure. The quilting bug has bit me hard of late - now I just need to retire - sigh! I have been interested in crazy quilting for some time and REALLY want to learn this method and to actually finish one of these quilts in this life-time. My next project will be a twisted log cabin which is a bit like crazy quilting - right? Your work is absolutely wonderful and I'm so happy you are blogging about it - THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosella, by all means retire, lol! When I was working, it was impossible to do the kind of quilting I wanted to do. Do you belong to a guild? That's the best way to meet like-minded individuals who share your passion for fabric and all things quilty. Thanks so much for following along and commenting. The advantage of crazy quilting is you can work one small block at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some guilds in our area here in SW Ontario but I think you have to be an experienced quilter to belong to them?! My mother and aunts were wonderful quilters and I'm hoping some of it has rubbed off on me! I just need to keep trying and practicing and, oh yes, retire!!! Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, unless Ontario is different from the US, every level of quilter is welcome to join a guild. In fact, that's one of the great benefits--lots of teachers! You really should try to find one you can attend around your work schedule. It made a huge difference in my quilting.

      Delete
  4. Arlene, I'd start with some fancy stitches in the seams, in neutrals. Then see if anything comes to mind. I think it would make a great symmetrical crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I'll have to think about that one, Eileen. Going to keep it on the design wall awhile to mull it over, lol.

    ReplyDelete